Although copper is important for critical bodily functions, extremely high levels can be dangerous and can lead to copper poisoning. Excess copper can be caused by a rare condition called Wilson disease, an inherited disorder, which causes the body to retain too much copper or by conditions that block or prevent copper me-tabolism or liver disease. Overexposure to copper can occur through environmental exposure to extremely high copper in drinking water or the consumption of copper salts. Low levels can also be dangerous and is associated with seizures, delayed development and abnormal artery development in the brain. Copper defi-ciencies can be caused by malabsorption or a genetic condition carried on the X-chromosome, Menkes kinky hair syndrome that causes copper deficiencies in infants.
Copper poisoning can be fatal. Excess copper can cause tissue damage and should be treated immediately. Symptoms include anemia, nausea, and abdominal pain, jaundice, fatigue, behavioral changes, tremors, difficulty walking or swallowing, and persistent muscle contractions that cause limb twisting and repetitive motions (dystonia). If you think you have been exposed to excessive amounts of copper and are vomiting or have diarrhea you should be tested immediately. Copper poisoning can cause long-term damage to the liver and/or kidney. Symptoms of copper deficiency include osteoporosis and anemia.
No, you do not need to provide a doctor’s order to get lab testing done at Sethi labs.
Test results are generally available within five (5) business days after your specimen is collected.
Walk-in appointments are available.
We recommend you share your results with your physician.